Monday, June 3, 2013

A gift

I got a gift for my birthday today. (Not THAT one--I would not be this calm, trust me!) As a kindergarten teacher, I do a lot for my kids that I figure they will never remember. We make butter and have Polar Express day and the leprechauns visit and we do jellybean math and raise butterflies and make bug shirts and so much more. It's time consuming and hectic and I do it because I love them and I want them to see school as an exciting, wonderful, magical place. But I don't figure they'll remember all that we did. And I really don't think they'll remember much about me.

A few weeks ago, I had a message on my voicemail at school. Turns out a former student wanted me to call her. It took a while to touch base, but, boy was it worth it. 

Tonight I got the best gift---I attended her high school graduation. This little girl, who was in my first kindergarten class, wanted ME to be at her graduation. 

So, if you ever wonder if all the time and money and energy and devotion and occasional heartache are worth it.......

                                               ...yeah, it's worth it. Because, sometimes, they do remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment