Sunday, June 2, 2013

Goodbye 2012/13

As a teacher, my year does not begin on Jan. 1 like the rest of the world. My years begin in August and end, in a sense, in June. Each August I make my new year resolutions (I will refile papers every week, I will grade papers and pass them back every week, I will not make piles behind the Smartboard....) and by October I've usually broken every one. 

Every year in May I start feeling like time is moving too fast. I didn't get things done I wanted to do, concepts taught that I wanted the kids to know. Mostly, though, I'm regretting  that my time with my current class is drawing to a close. I've spent about 1,300 hours with these little people and I've grown to love them. They are a part of me and forever will be. 

This year, my class presented me a group gift of a "summer fun" basket. After the last book was read and the last hug given, I returned to my messy, empty classroom and looked in the basket. My room mom, sweet, sweet woman that she is, included my girls in my end of year gift. Yes, there were goodies for me....but the girls got goodies too! The picture above shows them checking out their loot.

This year, as I close out my room and finish report cards, I wonder if this will be my last summer of just me and the girls. I hope so. And if it is (but really, even if it's not) I'm so touched that my girls were thought of with such love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment