Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Happy, happy day

And not for the reason you are probably thinking. :) If you are new to my world, there's a little catch up needed. (And if you know this info already, feel free to skip ahead)

My little dog, Kadee, participates in flyball. It's a dog sport (and no, I'm not crazy) similar to a relay race. Dogs compete on teams of 4. They run down a track, jump over 4 jumps, hit a box, grab a ball and go back over the jumps. Kadee LOVES it!

The first weekend in December, we were at a flyball tournament (again..not crazy...I just love seeing those I love happy..even if they happen to have fur) when I noticed a rash on Kadee's chest. That night, she had blood in her pee. Long story short, after 4 days in the vet hospital and lots of money, Kadee was diagnosed with ITP. It's an autoimmune disease that causes her body to attack its own platelets. We went from a chance she wouldn't make it, to home on severely restricted activity, to gradual reduction of meds and return to "normal".

2 weeks ago Kadee went to her first flyball practice since getting sick. She had fun, but tired very easily.

Now, for the happy, happy......Kadee participated in a flyball demo at the stockshow today and loved it! She was fast and happy!! I was nervous the whole time....but she had a blast! She also enjoyed working the crowd and getting pets from all the kids. :)

I know to some people, she's "just a dog". But, to me, she (and Baylee and Cooper and Angel) is family. She loves me no matter what. She is always happy to see me...even if all I've done is take the trash out. She always forgives my mistakes and does not hold grudges. She cuddles with me every night and gives me a good excuse to stay in bed just 5 more minutes in the morning. When somebody is that devoted to you...how can you not be completely overjoyed to see them do something that you thought might never happen again?

No comments:

Post a Comment